My life has been one hot mess. Heartache, grief, bad choices, lost relationships, rebellion, regrets, unforgiveness, anger and so much more have brought me to turning points in my life. I wouldn’t trade one of those life experiences because they have shaped me into the person I am today. I’m not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I am also not the same person I was 20, ten and even one year ago.
I don’t feel the need to broadcast my life story, but rest assured it’s not all that it appears on the pages of Facebook and other social media venues. Every day I struggle to keep my temper under wraps, my faith intact and my family on solid ground.
As we embrace a new year I want to share that you are not alone in making sense of your imperfect life. This was the caption I gave to my devotional blog started in 2013; it still rings true today. Life is an evolution of experiences that help us grow, learn and acquire the skills to move forward. That word ‘evolution’ means it doesn’t happen all at once.
Often it’s a painful process of working our way out of bad choices, learning to forgive or accept things we can’t change. Yet, there is someone I discovered years ago who has helped me work through some of life’s most difficult moments. His name is JESUS.
Many claim, “I know Him”, but I ask, “Do you really?”
- Does Jesus reign supreme in your life to the point of being obedient to His call?
- Do you read His Word daily to seek guidance for your life?
- Do you have a repentant heart?
- Are you repeating the same mistakes over and over?
- Have you invited Jesus to be the ruler of your life and seek Him when making important life decisions?
- Do you attend church to become part of the body of Christ in worship and stewardship?
- When was the last time you opened a Bible?
- When was the last time you prayed in earnest, not just a table grace?
Yes, our life is imperfect, but Jesus came to bring us victory over those imperfect moments. I encourage you to seek Jesus. He brings hope, joy and an avalanche of resources to help you find the path He has chosen for you.
No one in life loves you more than Jesus; no one who has gifted such relentless mercy and grace. And certainly, no one who has given their life to redeem you from the imperfections of this earthly world.
Seek Jesus in 2020 and if you need someone to guide you through how to make that happen, I am here. No judgements, no accusations, no preaching; I just want you to know the same Jesus that rescues me daily from my imperfect life is there for you too.
“You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:13